Previously to heading down to Dunedin last week for iD Fashion Week, I admit I had only the haziest idea who Doris Raymond was, but after attending a small but packed Q&A session at the Art Gallery, where Doris shook out a suitcase full of rare and important pieces of clothing, each with a goosebump-inducing story and a fascinating history, I confess I’m a new convert.
Having got a taste for the Doris’ unique magic, I was super excited to learn that another suitcase of very glamorous gowns from her collection would be revealed as part of the main iD shows on Friday and Saturday nights at the Railway Station (side note: incredible but rather chilly venue, dress warm). So here are some snaps for you, with a list of labels and dates below.
1. Unlabelled 1920s flapper style dress in black silk, heavily beaded with black beaded fringe.
2. Unlabelled 1930 floral gold & blue lamé in painterly floral.
3. Unlabelled 1930s blue art deco lamé gown with matching jacket.
4. Unlabelled 1950s gown in gold satin. Strapless with side swags.
5. Unlabelled Givenchy gown in rich brown paisley shaved velvet. One shoulder with matching black chiffon shawl.
6. Unlabelled 1950s green satin ball gown featuring layered petalled skirt.
7. Unlabelled 1960s gown. Pink sequinned sheath with three-quarter sleeves.
8. 1960s unlabeled gown. Empire-waisted, ostrich feather with rhinestone detail.
9. Loris Azzaro 1970s in black jersey with side cutouts trimmed in sequins.
10. Halston: Lifetime Haltson gown. One-shouldered blue chiffon over jersey with rhinestone detail. An iconic 1970s design.
11. 1990s gown in sequins, beads and rhinestones. Transparent chiffon skirt with slight train.
12. Christian Lacroix circa 1990s red abstract print with beaded cutout detail and matching shawl. Done in silk.
13. Belleville Sassoon 1980s gown, in the 1930s style.
14. Yamamoto: Yohji Yamamoto gown circa 1990s in typical avant garde styling in open work grid in cotton.
15. Lacroix: Unlabelled Christian Lacroix gown circa 1990s. Multicolor crochet with applied trim, sequins, and beads.
16. Mary McFadden 1980s hot pink halter gown with applied beaded floral in the designer’s signature pleated fabric.
17. Versace: Lifetime Gianni Versace gown in his signature early leather bondage style. Featuring a transparent black chiffon skirt with multicolor rhinestones throughout.
18. Naeem Khan: Naeem Khan 1930s styled metallic sequined halter gown.