Hello to the first meeting of the Undone online book club! We’re going to do this monthly and would LOVE to have you read along with us and join us in discussing each book of choice… This time it’s going to happen on Tuesday 17th February, so you have a month to get a copy of the book and get reading!
Just to add a teensy bit of structure and motivation, for a more rewarding read (we’re book nerds!) and better discussion, here’s a little list of things to think about while/after reading. You’re welcome to email us your thoughts at any time during the month (firstname.lastname@example.org) and at the end we’ll collate and publish some of your insights (if you’d like) after the 17th.
Some things to consider…
* Which character/s did you like most and least? Why?
* Was there a passage that stood out for you?
* Describe what you liked/dislike about the writing style?
* What is your favourite thing overall about the book? And your least favourite?
* Do you feel as if your views on a subject have changed by reading this text?
* If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask?
* How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to get into it? How did you feel reading it – amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored…?
So, what are we reading first?
The First Bad Man, by Miranda July. This is brand spanking new, in fact it was only released yesterday, but we’ve been looking forward to reading it for some time, along with the rest of July’s cult following. Here’s what Lena Dunham thinks:
“Miranda July’s ability to pervert norms while embracing what makes us normal is astounding. …She will make you laugh, cringe and recognise yourself in a woman you never planned to be. By the time July tackles motherhood, the book has become a bible. Never has a novel spoken so deeply to my sexuality, my spirituality, my secret self. I know I am not alone.” (Lena Dunham, author of Not That Kind of Girl)
For those of you not familiar with Miranda July, she’s a brilliant artist, writer and filmmaker and one of the coolest women ever on the planet, and this is her first novel…
Disclaimer! We just signed up as a Book Depository affiliate, so if you purchase via this link, Undone gets about $1 (yussssss) – also they’re pretty good and do fast and free delivery.
Welcome to da club! Get reading and we look forward to hearing from you!